Copyright William David Martin 1996
1. Patrick Hennessee b. ca. 1745, Possibly Ireland,
m. Alsey McDowell, b. est. 1748, (daughter of William McDowell and Mrs. McDowell) d. est. 1837.
Patrick died est. 1829. Member of Burk Co. Militia possibly a revolutionary war vet. Patrick added the extra E when he bacame a Protestant after marriage to Alsey McDowell. Of Irish descent, a sept of Clan Colgon. At present day the name is associated with Counties Cork, Limerick, and Tipperary. In Irish the name is O'hAonghusa, ie. descendant of Aonghus or Angus. The principal sept of this name was located near the town of Kilbeggan and the hill of Croghan. Alsey: Member of the Episcopal church.
+ 2. i James David b. 1766.
2. James David Hennessee b. 1766, Burk Co. NC,
m. (1) Ms. Wilcher, m. (2) Ms. (Beaver) Baber, b. est. 1769, d. est. 1858.
James died 3 MAR 1851, Warren Co. TN. James could be the father of Elizabeth Hennessee Martin by a Cherokee indian Amos and Elizabeth lived near James, but Elizabeth is not listed in James'will Alcey is listed but she married a Mr Christian. Christian could have died early Amos could have been her second husband. Family legend says Elizabeth was 1/4 Cherokee. Ms.: Elizabeth's mother's name is not known. The Hennessees had a family relationship with the Babers who had modified their name from Cherokee Beaver.
Children by Ms. Wilcher:
3. i Thomas Hennessee b. 1795, Burk Co. NC.
4. ii Patrick S. Hennessee b. 1796.
5. iii Alsey Hennessee b. 1800.
6. iv Archibald Wilcher Hennessee b. 25 SEP 1802.
7. v Alexander Hennessee b. 1804.
8. vi Alford Alfred Hennessee b. 1805.
9. vii Henry D. Hennessee b. 1807.
10. viii James Wilcher Hennessee b. 1808.
11. ix John Thomas Hennessee b. 1829.
12. x Mary Ann Hennessee b. 1830.
13. xi Samuel M. Hennessee b. 1831.
14. xii Esther Hennessee b. 1833.
15. xiii Anderson L. Hennessee b. 1835.
16. xiv Elizabeth Jane Hennessee b. 1838. Children by Ms. (Beaver) Baber:
+ 17. xv Elizabeth b. 1795.
17. Elizabeth Hennessee b. 1795, Burk Co. N.C.,
m. Amos Martin, b. 1787, Rehoboth, Bristol, MA, (son of Amos Martin and Sarah Cobb) d. 1849-1860, Possibly IL or MO. Elizabeth died ca. 1865. Elizabeth is listed on Sebastian Co. AK 1860 census as born in North Carolina, on later census most of her children list her bp as N.C. Her father b Burk Co N.C. Husband listed on Warren Co.TN 1820 census, lived adj James D. Hennessee. Albert Hennessee is also on the 1820 Warren Co. census and buys land in Shelby Il. IL 1836 ajacent to land later owned by her children 1863-75. Baber family associated with Hennessees and Martins. Early family members agreed that Elizabeth was 1/4 Cherokee Indian. Amos: Effingham Co. IL records list Margarett & Rachel Martin married with the consent of father Amos Martin, he is only Martin in county in 1840 with sons & wife age of Edmund, Joseph, Patrick and Elizabeth. Margarett Martin McClain names 3 sons Edmund, Joseph and Amos. Her living McClain decendants in Shelby Co. IL know they are related to the Martins and family legends such as one about Elizabeth Hennessee being 1/4 Cherokee Indian. GGrandaughter Lennie said Martin family originated in Attleboro/Rehoboth, Bristol Co. Mass.
+ 18. i James C b. 14 May 1815.
+ 19. ii Margarett b. 1816.
+ 20. iii Rachel b. 1817.
+ 21. iv Eliza b. Dec. 30, 1818.
+ 22. v Calvin b. 1820.
+ 23. vi Josiah b. 1823.
+ 24. vii Ebaline b. 1825.
+ 25. viii William Stanley "W.S." b. 1826.
+ 26. ix Edmund A b. 1827.
27. x Patrick Martin b. 1832, TENN, d. 17 SEP 1918, FT SMITH ARK. Idiot Savant, capable of complicated in head math, could neither read nor write.
+ 28. xi Joseph Ervin b. 29 APR 1835.Pvt. 126th IL Vol. Inf. Vicksburg, MS, DeValls Bluff, Jenkins Ferry, Camden, Pine Bluff, AR.